New Brakes for Sharan 1,8 T 2001

Hi there
Can anybody give a good recommendation for brakes other than the standard VW brakes. I think that the standard brakes are too soft and takes to long to brake, when you really need to, that is when you drive fast on the highway and somebody suddently stops in front

>Hi there
>Can anybody give a good recommendation for brakes other than the standard VW brakes. I think that the standard brakes are too soft and takes to long to brake, when you really need to, that is when you drive fast on the highway and somebody suddently stops in front

I think we now are taking very high risks to publish something in English in Germany. I think they will kill us now, but if attacks are coming, I am on your side…

Where are you from? I am from Belgium, and I also like it more to post in English.

About your brakes? I wouldnt know, but if you find something, the bill will be expensive, and you might have big trouble to get it approved for use on public roads. Type approval is quite severe, complicated and costly for brakes!!
Mark

Hi Again
I am from Denmark. I dont think that it will be a problem to chance the brake disk and pads. I have recommendation for EBC and Red Dot brakes and pads but being a novice in this matter, i am looking for second opinium in this matter. My german is very bad, that why it in english.

Kind regards
Eskil
>>Hi there
>>Can anybody give a good recommendation for brakes other than the standard VW brakes. I think that the standard brakes are too soft and takes to long to brake, when you really need to, that is when you drive fast on the highway and somebody suddently stops in front
>I think we now are taking very high risks to publish something in English in Germany. I think they will kill us now, but if attacks are coming, I am on your side…
>Where are you from? I am from Belgium, and I also like it more to post in English.
>About your brakes? I wouldnt know, but if you find something, the bill will be expensive, and you might have big trouble to get it approved for use on public roads. Type approval is quite severe, complicated and costly for brakes!!
>Mark

>Hi Again
>I am from Denmark. I dont think that it will be a problem to chance the brake disk and pads. I have recommendation for EBC and Red Dot brakes and pads but being a novice in this matter, i am looking for second opinium in this matter. My german is very bad, that why it in english.
>Kind regards
>Eskil

Changing the disks only wont bring anything unless they are worn. Indeed, between different pads, the difference can be huge in brake behaviour,… but also in wear. Legally, you can only mount pads that are released by VW or FORD.
I first thougth you would change the brakes itself…

Mark

Hello Eskil,

can you be a little bit more specific what the problem with your brakes are. What I understood there is a delay an brake action and the decelleration is not what you expect ?

Is the brake pad and disk new or used ? How many Kilometers ?
We had some problems in winter with different types of salt used which created problems with brake delay. But I assume that your problems are on dry road ?

Best regards
Christian aus Lüdinghausen

Hi again
Oh, I forgot to mention. The brake disk/pads have run 60.000 and are worn out, so I really need new once. So I am actually looking for some new once that is better in terms of performance and tear, than the originally mounted. I love the car but is disappointed with the brakes. Already after 45-50.000 km, the steering started to shake when braking from high speed (and my wheels and steering is not the cause). It is not at all a problem when you drive in the city and so, but on the highway in high speed, and you suddenly need to reduce your speed, the standard brakes are to soft and to sluggish (after my opinion). The car is quite heavy and big and fast for that size, so I think that VW didnt put strong enough brakes in the car or, maybe they made it for more relaxed cruise driving.

Kind regards
Eskil

>>Hi Again
>>I am from Denmark. I dont think that it will be a problem to chance the brake disk and pads. I have recommendation for EBC and Red Dot brakes and pads but being a novice in this matter, i am looking for second opinium in this matter. My german is very bad, that why it in english.
>>Kind regards
>>Eskil
>Changing the disks only wont bring anything unless they are worn. Indeed, between different pads, the difference can be huge in brake behaviour,… but also in wear. Legally, you can only mount pads that are released by VW or FORD.
>I first thougth you would change the brakes itself…
>Mark

>Hi again
>Oh, I forgot to mention. The brake disk/pads have run 60.000 and are worn out, so I really need new once. So I am actually looking for some new once that is better in terms of performance and tear, than the originally mounted. I love the car but is disappointed with the brakes. Already after 45-50.000 km, the steering started to shake when braking from high speed (and my wheels and steering is not the cause). It is not at all a problem when you drive in the city and so, but on the highway in high speed, and you suddenly need to reduce your speed, the standard brakes are to soft and to sluggish (after my opinion). The car is quite heavy and big and fast for that size, so I think that VW didnt put strong enough brakes in the car or, maybe they made it for more relaxed cruise driving.
>Kind regards
>Eskil
Had exactly the same problem when the disks were worn (120tkm). Look a bit lower in the forum. Most probably this is caused by the edge that is formed at the disks.
I had a shaking steering wheel when braking slightly at higher speeds. Braking hard or at low speed (I had the disks and pads changed in the regular FORD workshop and I am quite happy now with the performance.

(Seems that those germans are not as naughty as I thought…)

Mark

Hello Eskil,

here in Germany the Autobahn is unlimited, which puts a lot of load on the breaks especial on the higher performing cars. I assume that you have the 16 inch rimms and brake disks. I would still recommend the original VW replacement disk and original pads (no aftermarket).

You can mount race pads which usual have some compromizes on day to day driving.
On an up to 2 tonn vehicle you can destroy disks and pads in 50Tkm.
Using larger disks is most likely impossible due to rimm space restrictions. In addition the cost for a race type brake system will be in the order of 3000 to 5000 Euro. For my point of view this will be overkill for a 1.8T Van.

Best regards

Hi Christian
I just send another comment I dont know if that fills in the gap.
Problems with the brakes:

1. A kind of soft delay, before you get a response from the brakes
  2. To much soft sliding into deceleration even when you need to really brake (means that you, push the brake hard).
  3. Shaking, vibration from the wheels, when braking from high speed (150-160 km/h). I dont remember when I first noticed it, but for the last 20.000 km or so I have noticed it. The car is from summer 2001 and has 60.000 km by now.
  4. An overall unsafe feeling with the car, when reducing speed on highway.
  5. Problem is both on wet and dry road.

Kind regards
Eskil Schilling

>Hello Eskil,
>can you be a little bit more specific what the problem with your brakes are. What I understood there is a delay an brake action and the decelleration is not what you expect ?
>Is the brake pad and disk new or used ? How many Kilometers ?
>We had some problems in winter with different types of salt used which created problems with brake delay. But I assume that your problems are on dry road ?
>Best regards
>Christian aus Lüdinghausen

>Hi Christian
>I just send another comment I dont know if that fills in the gap.
>Problems with the brakes:
>1. A kind of soft delay, before you get a response from the brakes
>2. To much soft sliding into deceleration even when you need to really brake (means that you, push the brake hard).

Happens mostly when you have to brake with real cold brakes. If you drive 160, they cool real fast. Driving 10 min wihtout braking, and your brakes are really cold (especially in winter, but what can a Belgian guy tell you about winter!!) First you need a little temperature in the brake before it bites.

>3. Shaking, vibration from the wheels, when braking from high speed (150-160 km/h). I dont remember when I first noticed it, but for the last 20.000 km or so I have noticed it. The car is from summer 2001 and has 60.000 km by now.

I am for 99% sure that your disks are worn. I had exactly the same problem which was 100% gone when the disks and pads were changed. Did you also have this unpleasant feeling when the car was nearly new (after some 2000km when the brakes had their run-in)?
The problem seems to be caused by hot air between disks and pads that cannot get away quick enough because of the edge on the disks. (I believe it was a tip from MAVO)

Hope this helps you a bit.
Mark
>4. An overall unsafe feeling with the car, when reducing speed on highway.
See my comments above, it is gone now, but never forget you are driving around with 2T.
>5. Problem is both on wet and dry road.
As long as ABS is not coming in, the road surface has nearly no influence on the brake performance.

Mark

Hi Mark and Christian
Thanks for your advises, remark and opinions.
I was actually expecting the pads and disk to be worn out at this point, but being a pretty ignorant about the technical issues behind this, it very nice to get second opinions. And I liked the idea about getting better performance.
But as I understood (please correct if I am wrong) you both recommend that I stick to the original parts, whits as Christian point out, also is less expensive that other performance parts.
But Q for Christian is, can I understand what you write as, I could get better performance from other brands, but it will be at the cost of quicker tear and higher overall cost for the parts? If that is the case, then my second Q is, what parts will give a better performance in terms of more direct and not so soft sliding into braking.

>Hello Eskil,
>here in Germany the Autobahn is unlimited, which puts a lot of load on the breaks especial on the higher performing cars. I assume that you have the 16 inch rimms and brake disks. I would still recommend the original VW replacement disk and original pads (no aftermarket).
>You can mount race pads which usual have some compromizes on day to day driving.
>On an up to 2 tonn vehicle you can destroy disks and pads in 50Tkm.
>Using larger disks is most likely impossible due to rimm space restrictions. In addition the cost for a race type brake system will be in the order of 3000 to 5000 Euro. For my point of view this will be overkill for a 1.8T Van.
>Best regards
>Christian aus Lüdinghausen

Hello,

IMHO brakes should be in a condition that I can brake the car hard from 180Km/h to Zero with allmost no touch on the steering wheel. Anything else is an indication for a problem. Brake disks can warp, they can build ultra hard material with bad friction performance under high temperature. Pads can build glaze. What you describe is definitely an unsafe condition of your brakes. Again I would go for a complete set of stock new pads and disks as Mark says.

On higher performance brakes you can build in a multi caliper race type brake assembly (like Brembo for Porsche or AMG) but this will be a financial nightmare.

Using other pad material will most likely create compromizes in the day to day use. Usually VW works hard to get the best compromize for day to day use which includes German Autobahn.

Best regards

Hi again Mark
Next week I will have completely new brakes and pads, its obvious that I need it. I will get back after that on the same tread, to give a rapport on my experience. Thanks for your commends and advises (same to Christian).

Kind Regards
Eskil

>>Hi Christian
>>I just send another comment I dont know if that fills in the gap.
>>Problems with the brakes:
>>1. A kind of soft delay, before you get a response from the brakes
>>2. To much soft sliding into deceleration even when you need to really brake (means that you, push the brake hard).
>Happens mostly when you have to brake with real cold brakes. If you drive 160, they cool real fast. Driving 10 min wihtout braking, and your brakes are really cold (especially in winter, but what can a Belgian guy tell you about winter!!) First you need a little temperature in the brake before it bites.
>>3. Shaking, vibration from the wheels, when braking from high speed (150-160 km/h). I dont remember when I first noticed it, but for the last 20.000 km or so I have noticed it. The car is from summer 2001 and has 60.000 km by now.
>I am for 99% sure that your disks are worn. I had exactly the same problem which was 100% gone when the disks and pads were changed. Did you also have this unpleasant feeling when the car was nearly new (after some 2000km when the brakes had their run-in)?
>The problem seems to be caused by hot air between disks and pads that cannot get away quick enough because of the edge on the disks. (I believe it was a tip from MAVO)
>Hope this helps you a bit.
>Mark
>>4. An overall unsafe feeling with the car, when reducing speed on highway.
>See my comments above, it is gone now, but never forget you are driving around with 2T.
>>5. Problem is both on wet and dry road.
>As long as ABS is not coming in, the road surface has nearly no influence on the brake performance.
>Mark

Hello Eskil,

just make shure that you brake in the new pads gently. They need some bedding. For the first few hundred Kilometers no hard braking if possible.

Best regards

look here:

www.movit.de/

>Hi there
>Can anybody give a good recommendation for brakes other than the standard VW brakes. I think that the standard brakes are too soft and takes to long to brake, when you really need to, that is when you drive fast on the highway and somebody suddently stops in front